[Valid Atom 1.0]

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Frank Sinatra: America the Beautiful and That's America To Me (The House I Live In)

For July 4, and all the flag waving going on, I am going with these for my Sinatra selections this week:



And I will throw in Sinatra short about tolerance:


The howdy and the hand shake,
The air of feeling free,
The right to speak my mind out...
That's America To Me

Update: Mark Steyn goes into detail about The House I Live In

Mark Steyn has a Dominion Day song How About You? (it is about New York but written by Ralph Freed who was born in Vancouver, BC) and earlier had the Cole Porter's classic, I Concentrate On You. For Father's Day Mark had this especially appropriate pick and the Coffee Song.  In response to Ed Driscoll noting the 50th anniversary of Like A Rolling Stone, Mark also brought back his post for Bob Dylan's 60th Birthday back in 2001 (which noted Dylan singing Sinatra and Martin songs).

Bob had a Cahn-VanHeusen classic The Tender Trap (along with Makin Whoppie, Gershwin's I Have A Crush On You, and Are You Lonesome Tonight and last week had It Had To Be You and A Foggy Day in London Town (and others including Witchcraft)


Last week was disconcerting on some levels and Cycles seemed to work (the Raposo bonus track was thrown in for sardonic effect).  I also earlier in the week focused on Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn's masterpiece Time After Time from It Happened in Brooklyn and on Mr. Booze from Robin and the Seven Hoods. The week before I had Frank's version of Tony Hatch's Call Me and before that Songs Sinatra Did Not Record (any excuse to do a post with Julie London, Ella Fitzgerald, and Sarah Vaughan singing Cole Porter cannot be passed up), I belatedly remembered Dean Martin's birthday earlier last month, and also had this Sinatra/Hoagy Carmichael heartbreaker (which is also Mark's song a couple of weeks ago)

Don’t forget to also keep checking out
It’s a swingin’ world.

1 comment:

  1. "The House I Live In" is definitely one of his best in any way imaginable.

    Came out near the end of WWII when we had a right to be proud of ourselves, but there's isn't a hint of triumphalism in it.

    Something which might be an object lesson today if certain people had any awareness.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all legitimate comments. Keep it civil. Spam will be deleted. Thanks.